See also: News (individual African countries)
African Newspaper List
- Die Afrikaner
- In Afrikaans. Online edition of the print newspaper, published by the
Herstigte Nasionale Party. http://www.dieafrikaner.co.za/site/index.php
- Closed May 31, 2001 due to lack of funding. Had "news and analysis
about shares and investments, and the entrepeneurs behind some of the most
popular shares on the JSE." From the publishers of Woza
and the Cape Town based E-data Ltd.
- In Afrikaans. Site for the print daily newspaper. http://www.news24.co.za/Beeld/Home/0,4125,,00.html
Burger (Cape Town)
- In Afrikaans. http://www.news24.co.za/Die_Burger/Home/0,4138,,00.html
- Business Day (Johannesburg)
- Online edition of South Africa's main financial newspaper. Has stock exchange
news, back issues which are keyword searchable, a Document archive will
have publications such as the national budget, white papers, company announcements,
has a free, for now, personalized news service, one can email questions
about doing business in South Africa, there is a discussion forum, glossary
of financial terms, an economic calendar of events, has audio and video
files from its TV program. [KF] http://www.bday.co.za/
- Business Report
- Online edition of the print financial daily newspaper. Has company news,
analyses, market reports, etc. Retrieve past issues thru a keyword search.
- Cape Argus
- Web edition of the print Cape Town newspaper. Facts
about the newspaper. The Weekend Argus appears on Saturday-Sunday.
Published by Independent News and Media (South Africa) Limited. http://www.iol.co.za/capeargus
- Cape Business News
- Published in Cape Town, has a selection of articles and some articles
from the previous 3 months. Has a business
directory searchable by keyword or concept. http://www.cbn.co.za/
- Newspapers published by Independent News and Media (South Africa) Limited.
They do not have web sites. Publications information on each is provided:
Athlone News, Atlantic Sun, Constantiaberg Bulletin, False Bay Echo,
Helderberg Sun, Plainsman, Sentinel News, Southern Mail, Southern Suburbs,
Tatler, Tabletalk, Tygertalk, Vukani. http://www.iol.co.za/
Times (Cape Town)
- Online site for the print newspaper. Published by Independent News and
Media (South Africa) Limited. http://www.capetimes.co.za
- Channel Africa
- International shortwave radio service operated by the South African Broadcasting
Corp. In English, French, Portuguese, and some African languages.
Has continent wide
news and the broadcast schedule. For those
with sounds cards/speakers/RealPlayer you can listen
to the news from Johannesburg, see
SABC TV news such as the opening of the South African Parliament
(transmission may not be very good), or listen to music.
- China Express (Johannesburg)
- In Chinese. Site is gone. Published every Mon. Wed. and Fri., began publication in 1994. http://www.sa-cnet.com/
- City Press
- Online edition of the print Sunday paper aimed at an urban black readership.
Nearly half the paper's readers are from Gauteng Province. "was established
in 1982 as Golden City Press and was the first national Sunday newspaper
aimed at the Black market." Published by RCP Media (a wholly owned
subsidiary of Naspers). http://www.news24.co.za/City_Press/Home/
- Daily Maverick (Johannesburg)
- "free registration is required for a small subset of functions and pages.
The Daily Maverick is run by an independently owned, private company with no affiliation to any other media group (or political party or religious organisation.) It is funded entirely through advertising." Includes commentary by Jay Naidoo, Sipho Hlongwane, Mark Heywood & others. http://dailymaverick.co.za/
- Published by Independent News and Media (South Africa) Limited. Called
Sunday Tribune for Sunday issue. http://www.iol.co.za/dailynews
- Online edition requires a paid subscription. Published by Independent News
and Media (South Africa) Limited. http://diamondfieldsadvertiser.newspaperdirect.com/
- Dispatch Online (East
- Online site for the East London Daily Dispatch print newspaper.
Has a keyword search through past issues. http://www.dispatch.co.za/
- Financial Mail
- The online edition of the well-known South African business, economic,
and political weekly magazine. A subscriber option provides more information
than the free site. Past issues are only open to subscribers. Published
by Times Media Ltd. who also publish Business Day. http://www.fm.co.za
- Free daily online newspaper for the Garden Route. It is updated at 8am and 2pm weekdays. http://www.thegremlin.co.za/
- The Herald (Port
- Site for the print newspaper. Has a directory of important Port Elizabeth
phone numbers. http://www.theherald.co.za/
- General news, business news, entertainment, classified ads, sports, entertainment
news, etc. Offers a daily e-mail news service (headlines with links to stories).
Partners with 702 Talk Radio, and others. Offices in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
- Print KwaZulu Natal newspaper published in Zulu. The Independent
Newspaper Group represents the newspaper. The paper was founded by Dr
John Dube in 1903. A history of the paper includes images of the first issue. Northwestern and Yale universities have newsprint subscriptions.
- Independent on Saturday
- Independent Online
- Current news from the Cape Argus, Cape Times, Star, Business
Report and other Independent News & Media owned sources.
- Indicator (Lenasia)
- Site for the print newspaper with a focus on the South African Indian community.
- Indymedia South Africa
- "The IndyMedia South Africa is a non-commercial, democratic collective of
bay area independent media makers and media outlets, and serves as the
local organizing unit of the global Indymedia network." http://southafrica.indymedia.org/
- In Zulu. http://www.isolezwe.co.za/
- Lenasia Watch (Johannesburg)
- On-line news about the suburb of Lenasia in Gauteng Province, South Africa. News, events, businesses, etc. The majority population is of Indian / South Asian descent. http://lenzwatch.co.za/
- Letaba Herald
- Online issues are in PDF format. Also on the web site are the Palabora Herald and Mopani News. Has a search engine. Pubished by Lumedia Newspaper Group. Based in Tzaneen, Northern Province, South Africa. http://www.herald.co.za/
- Mail & Guardian
- South African, African and world news, business, sport and entertainment. Requires a subscription for most content.
Free content is from the SAPA (South Afican Press Assoc.). http://www.mg.co.za/
- Online edition of the print morning newspaper published
by Independent News and Media (South Africa) Limited. Formerly Natal
- Mopani News
- Online issues are in PDF format. Also on the web site are the Letaba Herald, and Palabora Herald. Has a search engine. Pubished by Lumedia Newspaper Group. Based in Tzaneen, Northern Province, South Africa. http://www.herald.co.za/
- Online news from major South African newspapers and South
African community newspapers. In depth and special reports. From Media24
Limited, NASPERS Centre, Cape Town. http://www.news24.com/
- Paarl Post (Paarl)
- In Afrikaans and English. Weekly newspaper for the communities of Paarl,
Wellington, Franschhoek and environs. Has past issues from two years back.
"It has the second largest paid circulation among
the country." First published on 14 January 1905. http://www.paarlpost.com/
- Palabora Herald
- Online issues are in PDF format. Also on the web site are the Letaba Herald, and Mopani News. Has a search engine. Pubished by Lumedia Newspaper Group. Based in Tzaneen, Northern Province, South Africa. http://www.herald.co.za/
- Online site for the print newspaper whose
audience is mainly the Indian community. Published by Independent News
Media (South Africa) Limited. http://www.thepost.co.za
- Daily print newspaper published
by Independent News and Media (South Africa) Limited. http://www.pretorianews.co.za
- Online edition of the print South African monthly newspaper of the Muslim
Youth Movement of South Africa Table of contents of latest issue. Articles
from past issues online. Has a penpals section. http://786.co.za/al-qalam/
- Weekly print newspaper. http://www.news24.com/Rapport/Home/
- ReKord (Pretoria)
- In English and Afrikaans. Online site for the print newspaper. http://www.rekord.co.za/
- Society News (Pretoria)
- Pretoria community newspaper. News, art and culture, sports, local events,
entertainment, links to related sites, etc. http://www.societynews.co.za/
- South Africa Independent
Media Center. IndyMedia - South Africa
- Alternative news on South Africa and other world news. Opposes capitalist
globalisation. Individiuals can contribute news stories, photographs, audio,
video. Receive weekly headlines by email. Part of the Independent
Media Center Network originated in Seattle, Washington. http://www.southafrica.indymedia.org/
- South Africa Times U.K.
- Web site
for the print newspaper on South Africa and South Africans in the U.K.
to sites of interest to South Africans, Australians in the U.K., advice
for South Africans moving to the U.K. http://www.southafricatimes.co.uk/
- South African Press Association, SAPA
- Access requires a subscription. http://www.sapa.org.za/
- Southscan (London)
- Subscription required to read articles. E version of the respected print
bulletin of Southern African affairs. Has the table of contents for issues
from 1994 +
- Sowetan (Johannesburg)
- Current news, business, sports, etc. Site for the print daily newspaper. http://www.sowetan.co.za/
- Online edition for the print daily newspaper published by the Independent
News and Media (South Africa) Limited. http://www.thestar.co.za
- [Star] Saturday Star (Johannesburg)
- Online site of the print newspaper published by the Independent News and
Media Group. http://www.iol.co.za/
- Sunday Independent (Johannesburg)
- Weekly print newspaper published
by Independent News and Media (South Africa) Limited. See also the Independent
on Saturday. http://www.sundayindependent.co.za/
- Sunday Times (Johannesburg)
- Online site for the print newspaper, the Sunday edition of Business
Times. Has a feature "Labour
Guides" and labour relations information http://www.suntimes.co.za
- Sunday Tribune (Durban)
- No news on site; brochure type information. Weekly print newspaper serving
KwaZulu-Natal. Published by Independent News and Media (South Africa) Limited.
See also the Daily News (Durban). http://www.iol.co.za/
- Witness (Pietermaritzburg)
- Online edition of the print daily newspaper. Formerly called the Natal Witness. http://www.witness.co.za/
- Woza News
- Closed May 31, 2001 due to lack of funding. Had South African business and
political news. Was an online-only news source run by Kevin Davie, former
editor of Business Times. http://www.woza.co.za/news/
- ZA News
- Satirical video news broadcast on South Africa. http://www.zanews.co.za
South Africa. Government Communication & Information System - Media Contacts
Directory of South African TV and radio stations, newspapers, magazines, community radio stations, community newspapers, foreign media in South Africa, freelance journalists in South Africa. http://www.gcis.gov.za/gcis/directory.jsp?dir=11
University of Cape Town Libraries
Extensive directory of South African online newspapers.
Newspapers - Historical
- Switzer, Les and Donna Switzer - The Black Press in South Africa and Lesotho: a descriptive bibliographic guide of African, Coloured and Indian newspapers, newsletters and magazines 1836-1976
- Full text on-line of the guide (G.K. Hall & Co. Boston, MA. 1979). 327 pages in PDF. Extensive history of the Black Press in South Africa and Lesotho. Lists publications from political parties, trade unions, pressure groups. Descriptions for each title. From the International Coalition on Newspapers (ICON) and the Center for Research Libraries, Chicago, Illinois. http://icon.crl.edu/guides/Switzer.pdf
| To locate selected holdings
of current South African print newspapers in the U.S., use the African
Newspapers Union List, AFRINUL, database hosted by the Cooperative
Africana Microform Project at the Center for Research Libraries (Chicago).
|| © The Board of Trustees of the Leland
Stanford Junior University. All rights reserved.
|Please send corrections to Karen Fung. All rights reserved.