- Locate the full text of current South African legislation. Pages take
a while to load. "Acts include amendments, schedules and regulations
and are updated whenever an amendment is promulgated in the Government Gazette."
One can receive "notification by email of any updates, amendments and
additions to the legislation." From FNB Internet Banking Service and
Guarantee Trust Hypertext Systems. [KF] http://www.acts.co.za/
- Adam, Heribert
and Kogila Moodley - The Opening of the Apartheid Mind. Options for the
New South Africa
- Full text of the book. Berkeley : University of California Press,
c1993. 277 p. Series: (Perspectives on South Africa). Text is keyword searchable.
"Adam and Moodley offer a nonpartisan and controversial analysis of
the social conditions and political restraints operating...in post-Apartheid
South Africa, and propose options for a new South Africa and a new foreign
policy for all of Southern Africa. They reject purely racial explanations
for political violence....", discusses the Black Consciousness Movement.
- African Centre for the Constructive
Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD)
- "an international civil-society organisation working throughout Africa
to bring appropriate African solutions to the challenges posed by conflict
on our continent." Provides full text reports, journals: Conflict
Trends magazine, African Journal in Conflict Resolution, Occasional
Papers. Has an internship program. Based in Mount Edgecombe, near Durban,
South Africa. http://www.accord.org.za/
Articles from the AJCR include: Conflict Resolution in South Africa.
- African Security Review
- Quarterly journal of the Institute for
Security Studies, Pretoria, South Africa. Has the table of contents
for recent issues and some full text articles from older issues.
- Alternative Information and Development
Centre, AIDC (Mowbray, South Africa)
- "an alternative information centre doing research, education and
training, as well as campaigning and lobbying on the macro issues affecting
the development process in South Africa." Concerned with reparations,
debt relief, the World Trade Org., publishes the Alternatives newsletter.
- Anti-Privatisation Forum
- "... established in July 2000
by activists and organisations involved in two key anti-privatisation struggles:
the struggle against iGoli 2002 in Johannesburg, and the struggle against
Wits 2001 at Wits University. The APF has affiliates from the unions, communities,
students and the left." Articles, discussion. Water privatisation,
evictions, etc. Based in Johannesburg. http://www.apf.org.za/
- Arms Deal
Socialist web site article March 2001
BBC article April
SABC November 2001
- extensive report by the Auditor-General
- Arms Deal Virtual Press Office
- "Towards the end of 1999, the South African Government signed contracts totalling US$4,8 billion (R30 billion in 1999 rands) to modernise its defence equipment, which included the purchase of corvettes, submarines, light utility helicopters, lead-in fighter trainers and advanced light fighter aircraft. The purpose of this Virtual Press Office (VPO) is to follow the thread of certain questions being raised and investigations being undertaken into this controversial arms deal." Based in Cape Town, South Africa. [KF] http://www.armsdeal-vpo.co.za/
- Boer Nation Page
- Has as its aim the preservation of the Boer nation. News sources (radio,
newspapers, etc.), etc. In English and Afrikaans. Produces an e-publication,
Reality SA and BoerNews. Has a directory
of related organizations. http://www.boer.co.za/
Patrick - From racial to class apartheid: South Africa's frustrating decade
- Full text article. Monthly Review, March, 2004. From the Looksmart.com
web site. Other articles by Bond on the Monthly
Review site. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1132/is_10_55/ai_114290203/pg_1
- Bond, Patrick -
"Zimbabwe, South Africa, and the Power Politics of Bourgeois Democracy"
- In The Monthly Review magazine, Volume 54, Number 1, May 2002.
Bond "teaches political economy at the University of the Witwatersrand
in Johannesburg, South Africa." http://www.monthlyreview.org/0502bond.htm
- Cape Gateway
- Government information and services portal. http://www.capegateway.gov.za/
- Cape Town City Council
- Has a Demographic Database providing information on national and western
cape statistics, labour force information, population, level of education,
electricity consumption. Also information on local govt., business, tourism.
Lots of nice graphics (turn them off if you're on a slow connection however).
- Centre for Policy Studies (Johannesburg)
- "an independent policy research institution committed to producing
.....research on South Africa's most pressing political and social issues."
Has online executive summaries of recent CPS research reports and the complete
texts of their most recent policy briefs. Topics include foreign workers,
the ANC xenophobia, urban decay, etc. http://www.cps.org.za
Newsletter of the Governance programme. Has the table of contents.
The latest issue
is online. Covers election, political party issues. http://www.cps.org.za/publications/synopsis.htm
- Centre for the Study of Violence
- The Centre is a South African NGO which began operations in 1989. Has
many full-text articles on prisons, crime, rape, the Truth
and Reconciliation Commission, human rights in Zimbabwe, Pagad Killing of
Rashaad Staggie, Gangs, Arms Control, Children, Correctional Services,
Death Penalty, Development, Elections, Gender, Globalisation,
Hostels, Human Rights, Industry, Industry, International Comparisons, Land
Issues, Mental Health, Militarisation, Policing, Political Violence,
Postmodernism and Social Control, Racism, Reconciliation, Refugees,
State Violence, Theory of Violence, Urban Safety, Vigilantism, Xenophobia,
- Civnet (New York, NY)
- In English and French. Civitas is "an international, non-governmental
organization dedicated to promoting civic education and civil society."
Among its historical documents are excerpts from Nelson
Mandela's 1991 address on human rights.
Has articles from its Journal such as -
Civil society in
Africa: the good, the bad, the ugly. by E. Gyimah-Boadi.
renaissance, by Karl Maier.
Africa's failed renaissance, by George Ayittey.
The various states of democracy
in Swaziland, South Africa, and Angola by Linda Moscarella (May
Democracy is developing
in Southern Africa by David Pitts (mainly on South Africa).
Reports from their 1997 Pretoria conference, Civitas
- Community Agency for Social Enquiry (C
A S E)
- An NGO which conducts research in the socio-economic, political and developmental
fields. Based in Braamfontein, South Africa. Has full text reports
online such as -
"Civil society and the State in South Africa,"
"Monitoring Socio-economic Rights in South Africa: Public Perceptions"
"Gender Opinion Survey"
"Pay Equity: Differences between Women and Men Farm Workers"
"Fostering Mutual Co-operation: Intergovernmental Relations
in South Africa"
"Intergovernmental Relations and Provincial Government"
"Health Care in South Africa: The Second Kaiser Family Foundation
"Sustainable livelihoods: Towards a Research Agenda"
"Socio-economic and Political Analysis of the Gauteng Province"
"Infrastructure Delivery in South Africa: A NEDLAC Project"
"The Budgetary Implications of the Implementation of the Domestic
"Access to Justice in South Africa: Legal Aid Transformation
and the Paralegal Movement." http://case.org.za
- Constitutional Assembly
- Contains documents of the legislative body charged with drafting the new
South African constitution. Has the full text of various drafts of the constitution
and the final constitution. All are also available in
zipped form. There is a keyword searchable database.
- The final constitution of May 8, 1996 is available in
text online (very long file) - http://www.constitution.org.za/drafts/wdrafts/sacon96.htm
Zipped files in Word
for Windows 6, Word Perfect 5.1 and plain text - http://www.constitution.org.za/zip.html
The amended October 11, 1996 constitution in zip Word Perfect
5.1 form is available.
- Has the Court Opinions, Constitutional Documents, information about the
Court and the judges, links to other sites of legal interest. Maintained
by the Univ. of the Witwatersrand Law School. http://www.law.wits.ac.za/court/courtpam.html
- Corruption & Governance in South Africa : Collection of Marianne Camerer
- Guide to a 14 microfilm reel collection
on South Africa on corruption and governance related issues,
covering Sept. 1995-Mar. 2006. Collected by Marianne Camerer for her doctoral dissertation,
"Testing the system -- democracy on trial : corruption and reform in democratic South Africa."
Includes political cartoons, newspaper articles, parliamentary records (committee and Hansard),
auditor general reports, public protector reports, commissions of inquiry, investigative reports, interviews,
conference proceedings, policy documents, survey material, journal articles, court records, and court testimony. Filmed for the Cooperative Africana Microfilming Project, CAMP at
the Center for Research Libraries. http://www.crl.edu/areastudies/camp/collections/corruption.htm
- C-Span - Cable Television Station Video Library
- Free online videos from the U.S. cable television station, C-Span. Very large selection on African figures and topics. Videos may also be purchased. http://www.c-spanvideo.org/videoLibrary/
President Nelson Mandela's Address to the Joint U.S. Congress, June 26, 1990.
South African President Jacob Zuma's State of the Nation Address Feb. 11, 2010 and the South African State of the Nation addresses for 2003-2008 (President Thabo Mbeki).
White House State Dinner Oct. 4, 1994 for President Mandela's State Visit (arrival, remarks).
White House State Dinner Speeches Oct. 4, 1994 - President Mandela and President Bill Clinton.
U.S. Senate Dinner for Mandela, June 25, 1990
Mandela News Conference, June 25, 1990
F.W. de Klerk's May 5, 2009 Speech to the U.S. National Press Club.
Ahmed Kathrada Interview about his book Memoirs, 2005
Allison - South African Politics - an Introduction Using Internet Resources
- This web course provides a "brief introduction to South African politics
and political history using internet-based resources. Students can develop
research skills using the web through simple web-based exercises."
Includes a historical overview, reading lists, research exercises, two maps.
Dr. Drew is with the
Dept. of Politics, University of York, U.K. http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~ad15/SApolitics.htm
- Durban. City.
- "Official web site for the Durban Metro Unicity Project." Pages
take a while to load. Information on local government, tourism, local media,
conference facilities, etc. http://www.cityofdurban.co.za/
- Election 2009
- May 9, 2009 Jacob Zuma was sworn in as South Africa's fourth post-apartheid president.
Mvume Dandala. Congress of the People Elections Campaign Portal. http://www.copeelections.co.za/ Also Facebook page: Mvume Dandala for President
Patricia de Lille. Independent Democrats. http://www.id.org.za/
Pieter Mulder. Freedom Front Plus. http://www.vryheidsfront.co.za/
Helen Zille. Democratic Alliance. Ran as the DA candidate for Premier of the Western Cape. http://www.da.org.za/ Also Facebook page: Helen Zille for President
Jacob Zuma. MyANC and Friends of Jacob Zuma. http://www.myanc.org/ and http://www.friendsofjz.co.za/ Also Facebook page: Jacob Zuma for President 2009,
Independent Electoral Commission. http://www.elections.org.za/
News24 - Elections 2009. http://www.news24.com/News24/Elections/Home/0,,,00.html
SA Elections. From The Times newspaper, published by Avusa Limited (formerly Johnnic Communications Limited) in South Africa. Candidates list. http://www.saelections.co.za/
- Electoral Institute of South Africa
- Information on South Africa's second democratic election (June 2, 1999).
Has voter registration statistics, a directory of all parties registered,
results from the 1994
election, results from the 2004
The Institute's goals are "the promotion of electoral policies and
practices that will produce free and fair elections, and secondly the development
of programmes which encourage a civic environment conducive to democratic
elections..." Based in Johannesburg. http://www.eisa.org.za/
- E-mail newsletter of political news and analysis, includes a Who's Who
section, briefings. Editor: Sean Jacobs. From IDASA, Institute
for Democracy in South Africa. http://www.idasa.org.za To subscribe,
send e-mail to: epoliticsSA@idasact.org.za
- Facts on File -
World News CD-ROM Demo
- Extensive information on South Africa's first all-race election, inauguration,
and events of April-May 1994 and short biogs of Mandela
and De Klerk. To illustrate
a cd-rom which sells for $995.
South African events April-May 1994: http://www.facts.com/cd/94000313.htm
Inauguration/election results: http://www.facts.com/cd/94000337.htm
- Friends of Jacob Zuma
- Maintained by the Friends of Jacob Zuma Trust. Based in Durban, South Africa. http://www.friendsofjz.co.za/
- Gauteng Legislature
- Site for the Gauteng Provincial Legislature. Online are issues of the
Hansards, budgets, the full text of bills,
the code of conduct, Committee reports. Has historical and recent posters
and other art work owned by the Legislature, information on how to initiate
petitions, etc. Based in Johannesuburg. [KF] http://www.gautengleg.gov.za/
- Global Review of Ethnopolitics
- Peer-reviewed online journal which receives additional support from the
Specialist Group on Ethnic Politics of the Political Studies Association
of the UK. Topics include Kristin Henrard's "Post-Apartheid South
Africa's Democratic Transformation Process: Redress of the Past, Reconciliation
and 'Unity in Diversity" (in
Adobe pdf), and I. William Zartman's "The Timing of Peace Initiatives:
Hurting Stalemates and Ripe Moments" (in
Adobe pdf). Based at the Department of European Studies, University
of Bath, Bath, England. [KF] http://www.ethnopolitics.org/
- Goga, Farhana
- "Towards Affirmative Action: Issues of Race and Gender in Media Organisations.
A Study on South African Media Organisations (Print and Broadcasting)"
- Full text of the study. (Durban: UNESCO / Graduate Programme in Cultural
and Media Studies, University of Natal, 2001. 125pp.) The "study offers
clear benefits to the industry on constructive ways of implementing the
Equity Act, and in bringing about coherent and popularly supported affirmative
action and gender sensitivity within media institutions." http://www.und.ac.za/und/ccms/unesco/
Richard J. - "Law and the Search for Justice"(April 1997)
- "Justice Goldstone is a member of the Constitutional Court of South
Africa. He is the former Chief Prosecutor for the International Tribunals
for Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia." Discusses his background, apartheid,
the Goldstone Commission, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, the International
Tribunal for Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia, an internet chat with high
school students. Part of the Conversations with History series from
the Institute of International Studies, Univ. of California, Berkeley. http://globetrotter.berkeley.edu/Goldstone/gold-con0.html
- Henrard, Kristin - "Post Apartheid South Africas Democratic
Transformation Process: Redress of the Past, Reconciliation and Unity
- Full text article, in
Adobe pdf, in The Global Review
of Ethnopolitics, Vol. I, no. 3, March 2002, 21 p.
- Hopes on the Horizon; Africa
in the 1990s
- Web site for the two-hour PBS
documentary from Blackside, Inc. ("Eyes on the Prize"), which "chronicles
the rise of pro-democracy movements and the expansion of
civil society" in Benin, Nigeria, Rwanda, Morocco, Mozambique,
and South Africa, during the final, decade of the twentieth century.
For each country has facts, a brief background to the democracy movement,
an essay, questions (for high school / university students), suggested readings,
and the complete transcript. [KF] http://www.pbs.org/hopes
- Human Sciences Research Council,
- South African research organization which sponsors programs in education,
human resources, science development, social dynamics. Has databases
such as the South African Data Archive. Their Modern
Constitutions Database enables scholars to compare and analyze constitutions.
For Africa has the constitutions for Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, and
Zimbabwe. http://star.hsrc.ac.za/conssrv.html http://www.hsrc.ac.za/
- Independent Electoral Commission
- "...a permanent body created by the constitution to promote and safeguard
representative democracy in South Africa. Although publicly funded and accountable
to Parliament, the commission is independent of the government. Its immediate
task is the impartial management of free and fair elections at all government
levels." Has a directory
of registered parties, the full text of the "Electoral Act 73 of
1999" and detailed results of the 1999 election. http://www.elections.org.za/
- Institute for Democracy in
South Africa, IDASA
- Conducts public
policy research. Had brief descriptions of its programs - community policing,
local government, education for democracy, economy and development, constitution,
media, etc. Has the table of contents for Siyaya!
magazine. Produces an e-newsletter, epoliticsSA. To subscribe to
the newsletter, contact Sean Jacobs. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Institute for Democracy in South
Africa (IDASA). Political Information and Monitoring Service:
- Supports democracy and promotes good ethical governance in South Africa.
Has the full text of its Advocacy Digest on social justice news
and alerts and its newsletter, uku-Shela. Has a Democracy 2000
project, publishes ePolitics.
Has a subscription only legislation monitoring service, PIMS
- Institute for Global Dialogue
(Johannesburg, South Africa)
- Site does not work in older Netscape browsers. An "independent South
African NGO public policy institute; "provides analysis on the changing
global environment and its impact on South Africa for the benefit of government
and civil society." Publishes a journal, Global
Dialogue, several series with full text online (Occasional
Insight series, African Dialogue series). http://www.igd.org.za/
African Dialogue (full text)
1.Transition to democracy in Nigeria: how can South Africa assist? Edited
by Kato Lambrechts. 1998. 66 p. (MS Word)
2. Crisis in Lesotho: challenges of managing conflict in Southern Africa.
1999. 47 p. (MS World)
- International Institute for Democracy
and Electoral Assistance (Stockholm, Sweden)
- "Created in 1995 by 14 countries,...promotes and advances sustainable
democracy..." Its June 2001 forum is on Democracy
and the Information Revolution. http://www.idea.int/
Has many full text publications -
- Jenkin, Tim
- The Story of the Secret Underground Communications Network of Operation
- ANC member Jenkin's account of the ANC in exile's communication methods.
The account appeared as a series of six articles in the ANC's monthly journal,
Mayibuye, from May 1995 to October 1995. http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/history/vula.html
- Joburg: A World Class African City
- Official site. Johannesburg city government information, suburb / region descriptions and maps, culural events, news, tourism & business sites, tourist tips. How the city is run. City statistics. History. Soweto. Alexandra Township. 2010 World Cup (soccer). Maintained by the City of Johannesburg. http://www.joburg.org.za/
- Klaaren, Jonathan - Interview on South African Immigration Law
- Klaaren is Professor of Law, University of the Witwatersrand. Interview
South African immigration law. From the SAfm radio program web site
for Sept. 4, 2000. http://www.queensu.ca/samp/sampresources/migrationdocuments/interviews/klaaren.htm
- Kwa-Zulu National Provincial Government
- Official site. Pages take a long time to load. http://www.kwazulu.net
Affairs - South African Consulate-General, New York
- Information on land policy, land reform. http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/sacg/landaffairs.htm
- Limpopo Province
- Previously Northern Province. Speeches, press releases, annual reports
of the Departments, investment information, tourism, etc. [KF] http://www.limpopo.gov.za/
- Little Black Book
- Biographical information on prominent South Africans. Photograph, contact
information, short biography. See the pull-down List for an alphabetical
list of people or a list by occupation (business, government, media, development,
law, medicine, tourism, arts, sports, academia, information technology,
labor, etc.). On-line version of the book published by the Financial
Mail, Johannesburg. [KF] http://www.littleblackbook.co.za/
- "Mad Scientists"
- South Africa's Chemical and Biological Warfare Projects
- About Dr Wouter Basson who headed a 1980s effort to "develop chemical
and biological weapons for the white-minority regime." Has full text
articles, transcripts from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, political
cartoons, etc. http://home.global.co.za/~jrad/index.html
- Magubane, Bernard
Makhosezwe - Reflections on the Challenges Confronting Post-Apartheid South
- Full text. Magubane is "Professor of Anthropology at the University
of Connecticut, USA. He is particularly interested in urban anthropology
and problems of social changes..." From the UNESCO web site. [KF] http://www.unesco.org/most/magu.htm
- Mbeki, Thabo
- Has a biography, speeches and writings, photographs. On the site of the
African National Congress. http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/history/mbeki/
- Mbeki, Thabo - The
African Renaissance, South Africa, and the World
- Then Deputy President Mbeki speaks at the United Nations University, 9
April 1998. http://www.unu.edu/unupress/mbeki.html
- McFarland, Tracy Ann - Constitutional promises meet political realities: a case study of
South African women's groups and their influence on legislation
- The full text is online. 275 pages in PDF.
Austin, Tex. : University of Texas Libraries, 2006. Dissertation: Thesis
(Ph. D.)--University of Texas at Austin, 2006. http://www.lib.utexas.edu/etd/d/2006/mcfarlandt26179/mcfarlandt26179.pdf
- Monterey Institute of International Studies, Center for Nonproliferation
Africa's Nuclear Weapons Program
- Includes a chronology, map of nuclear sites, links
to full text articles on the program, photographs, legislation, maps,
reports, policy documents, treaties, and an article in Adobe pdf format,
"Lessons for US Policy, An analysis" by Frank V. Pabian. http://www.cns.miis.edu/research/safrica/
- Mpumalanga Provincial
- Official site. State of the Province address, speeches, press releases,
- Mpumalanga Provincial Legislature
- "The Legislature is a provincial parliament and has its seat in the
provincial capital, Nelspruit. Mpumalanga Provincial Legislature is constituted
of 30 Members of the Provincial Legislature (MPLs), who are elected through
a proportional representation system..." Member biographies,
committee reports, policy and budget speeches,
press releases, facts about Mpumalanga Province, etc.[KF] http://www.mpuleg.gov.za/
- Municipal Demarcation Board
- Provides information on the demarcation of municipal boundaries and the
delimitation of wards. Has metropolitan and district council maps, policy
documents, detailed statistics on each province. http://www.demarcation.org.za/
- National Democratic Institute for
- A nonprofit NGO, based in Washington, D.C., which seeks to promote democratic
institutions in new and emerging democracies. Has South
African projects and reports
on projects. http://www.ndi.org
- National Endowment
for Democracy. Democratic Consolidation in South Africa: Progress and Pitfalls
- "...February 1998, the Centre for Policy Studies (Johannesburg) and
the International Forum for Democratic Studies convened a conference in
Johannesburg that examined the first three and a half years of South
African democracy,..." http://www.ned.org/pubs/safrica/toc.html
- Netherlands Institute for
Southern Africa - The (Secret) Truth Commission Files
- The Netherlands Institute for Southern Africa prepared reports, Nov. 1997,
for the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. They investigate the deaths
of Olaf Palme, Dulcie September, and Samora Machel.
Their report, Chemical Warfare Case concerns "the involvement of the
South African apartheid regime and its secret services in chemical and biological
- Nkosi Sikelel'
- South African government site. Has the text of the South African national
anthem, in English, Zulu, Xhosa, Sesotho, Afrikaans, and a history of the
anthem. An audio file of Nkosi Sikelel' is over 1 MB. http://www.polity.org.za/misc/nkosi.html
- Nobel Prize
- Nobel Prize Internet Archive. Not an official site. http://www.almaz.com/nobel/
- North West
- Official Site. http://users.iafrica.com/n/nw/nwcs/index.html
- Northern Cape Provincial
- The legislature, press statements, speeches, news, provincial government
departments, ministers' biographies, issues of Northern Cape News,
the Official Voice of the Northern Cape Provincial Government, and of Lentswe,
the staff newsletter. http://www.northern-cape.gov.za/
- Northern Cape Provincial Legislature
- Official site. Some files are very large. http://www.ncprov.gov.za/
- Northern Province. Legislature
- Has members by party, committee memberships, Site of the Research and
Library Services Divisions of the Legislature of the Northern Province.
- The Open Democracy Advice
- Promotes access to information and advises whistleblowers
"so as to build open and accountable public and private institutions."
Has the full text, in Adobe PDF, of Promotion of Access to Information
Act and of the Protected Disclosures Act. An Idasa
project with the Black Sash Trust and the Public Law Department, University
of Cape Town. http://www.opendemocracy.org.za
- Open Society Foundation for South
- Foundation, established in 1993 in Newlands, South Africa, by financier
George Soros. Supports educational, social and legal reform. Projects include
community radio and housing. http://www.osf.org.za/
- See also Open
Society News - Newsletter about the programs funded by Soros.
Mainly on Eastern Europe but includes his programs in South Africa. One
can do a keyword search on South Africa to retrieve information.
- Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa, OSISA
- In English and Portuguese. Non-profit foundation established by George Soros. Provides grants to organizations. Operates in Angola, Mozambique; Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Swaziland; Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi. Programs in Human Rights and Democracy Building; Media; Education; Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs); Economic Justice. Has Guidelines for Proposal Writing and Preparing Budgets. Based in Johannesburg, South Africa. [KF] http://www.osisa.org
- Page for the Afrikaner homeland (volkstaat), Orania. In Afrikaans and
- "The aim of Pagad is to eradicate gangsterism and drugs from our
society, thereby restoring morality and social order to the communities..."
Has press statements, memoranda, historical background, etc. http://www.pagad.co.za/home.htm
- Parliament of South Africa
- Official site. Has member information, speeches (Mandela, Mbeki, Buthelezi,
various ministers, etc.), a directory of groups monitoring Parliament, the
full text of the 1996 and 1997 Hansards (Adobe .pdf format), the full text
of recent bills (.pdf format), the full text of Acts (plain text), etc.
- Parliamentary Monitoring Group
- A database of the minutes of parliamentary committees,
"together with accompanying documents handed out at meetings such as
public submissions, bills and departmental briefings." Has a
list of selected bills before Parliament, descriptions of the parliament's
committees and their members, the schedule of meetings, etc. "...established
in 1995 as a partnership between Black Sash, Human Rights Committee and
Idasa with the aim of monitoring parliamentary committee meetings."
- PIMS Monitor
- Subscription only. Provides information on all bills,
acts and policy documents that pass through parliament. Created by Institute
for Democracy in South Africa, IDASA. Information is updated weekly.
Annual cost is R2,508 or c. U.S. $312.00 http://www.pims.org.za/monitor/
- Blog of Farrel Lifson on South African politics, with links to South Africa
sites. Lifson is a computer science grad student at the Univ. of Cape Town. http://politics.za.net/
- "news and politics of Southern Africa.......breaking news, informed comment and opinion, and easy access to key online resources....... a forum for reasoned debate, ..... welcomes comments and contributions." Owned by Moneyweb Holdings Limited. Based in South Africa. http://www.politicsweb.co.za/
South African Journal of Political Studies
- "...focuses primarily on South African politics, but not exclusively
so." The official journal of the South African Political Studies Association.
Published by Carfax Publishing Ltd. (U.K.) Library rate is $164 per year.
- Current news from SAPA (South African Press Agency), the full text (in
Adobe pdf) of draft bills, bills, acts, policy documents
(white papers, green papers, education policy, telecom policy, etc.),
government ministers' speeches, budget speeches, expenditures,
revenue, older policy documents [KF] http://www.polity.org.za/pol/home/
The Recommendations section includes older reports such as Report on Violence
Against Women (May 2002) Report of the Minister of Education
to the President (May 2002), Education statistics in South
Africa (October 2003), Inquiry into human rights violations in farming
communities (September 2003), Country Corruption Assessment
Report (April 2003). There is some difficulty in determining the author
of some of the reports.
- Privacy International
- "human rights group formed in 1990 as a watchdog on surveillance
by governments and corporations. PI is based in London, England, and has
an office in Washington, D.C." Their Privacy & Human Rights
1999 report covers South
African privacy laws and protections. Has the full text of South Africa's
of Access to Information Act (45 pp. in Adobe PDF format). [KF] http://www.privacyinternational.org/
Broadcasting Corporation - Jim Lehrer News Hour
- Has transcripts of interviews on South African issues. For those with
sound cards has a RealAudio version as well. Has a keyword search facility
for the entire site.
- Public Service Accountability
- Creates "public awareness around corruption, transparency
and accountability." "tracks cases of
public sector corruption and maladministration in South Africa's Eastern
Cape." "contains regular updates on these cases and includes audio
interviews with officials" some court transcripts,
and links to online newspaper articles on the cases. Based
at Rhodes University. [KF] http://www.psam.ru.ac.za/
- Reconciliation Net
- Resources on South African and other reconciliation and transition processes.
Has full text articles and papers on amnesty, civil society and transition,
reparations, list of videos on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission etc.
Has a keyword searchable "International Internet Bibliography on
Transitional Justice: A selected bibliography with special focus on
Germany and South Africa" by Gunnar Theissen. Has extensive links to
related sites, a database of researchers, a mailing list. Part of the Centre
for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation (Johannesburg).
Donald - Managing Ethnic Conflict in Africa: Pressures and Incentives for
- Full text of the book, includes chapters on Angola, South Africa,
Sudan, Zimbabwe. The entire book is keyword searchable. (Washington,
D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, c1997. 343 p.) http://brookings.nap.edu/books/0815775938/html/index.html
- "an online journal of American and South African comparative studies.
This website intends to provide a forum of discussion for scholars and an
intellectual public on both American and South African cultures, literature,
media, and politics." One can read articles on South African politics,
culture, education and post comments about them. Maintained by Andrew Offenburger.
- SAIMMIG.CALS - Southern African Migration Discussion Group
- Discussion email list started by Jonathan Klaaren, while at the Centre
for Applied Legal Studies, Univ. of the Witwatersrand, on legal and policy
issues related to Southern African migration/immigration. To subscribe send
email to: email@example.com
In the message area put: subscribe saimmig.cals
Or send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Samoff, Joel -
South Africa Contested Transitions
- Site to accompany a Stanford University seminar held Winter Quarter, 2001/2002.
Includes readings, documents, audio files. An interactive South African
map has layers (political, the great trek, gold mines, cities, homelands,
terrain). Click on the plus sign to add a layer or the minus sign to remove
a layer. http://www.stanford.edu/class/history48q/
- SANGOCO, South African National NGO Coalition
- An umbrella body of South African NGOs. Has the tables of contents/selected
articles from its newsletter, NGO
Matters. Programs include the Apartheid Debt Campaign. "This
campaign draws from the international doctrine of 'odious debt', which spells
out that lenders who finance totalitarian regimes have no guarantees of
protection from international law." "The Speak Out On Poverty
and Inequality Campaign aims to give poor people a platform to speak out
about their experiences of poverty and to provide their own solutions."
- Site for the NGO sector in South Africa. Has an NGO directory, PRODDER. Provides Website Design, Hosting, Database Design for civil society organizations. Offers internet training, information communication technology (ICT) strategic planning, linux local area networks setup. Based in Johannesburg. http://sangonet.org.za/
- Seiler, John
- "Transforming Mangope's Bophuthatswana: Towards Democracy in the
North West Province"
- With chapters by Francine de Clercq and Snuki Zikalala. The full text
of five chapters of the 1999 book are on the Mail & Guardian web
- Usenet discussion group on South Africa formed November 1994. See the
Asked Questions) for soc.culture.south-africa for information about
South Africa from postings to soc.culture.african and soc.culture.south-africa
(c. 1995), compiled by Scott Hazelhurst. http://www.cs.wits.ac.za/faq/safrica/safrica.html
- Usenet discussion group for speakers of Afrikaans. The Afrikaans e-mail
discussion group will be gatewayed to this newsgroup. Formed October 1995.
- South Africa
- Blog on contemporary South African politics, business, and other matters. http://southafrica.blogspirit.com/
- South Africa. Government (Official Site)
- Speeches, the Constitution, biographies and the speeches of government
officials, Mandela's biography and speeches, links to government departments,
White Papers, Acts
and Bills by subject, Green
Papers, reports (incl.
some commission reports), tender
bulletins, forms, provincial
government information, local
government information with related links, etc. http://www.gov.za
- South Africa. Government Communciation,
and Information System
- Official site. Has full text chapters from the South
Africa Yearbook, interviews, press releases on the media, the
budget vote. http://www.gcis.gov.za/
- South Africa.
Government Ministries & Deputy Ministries
- 1999 directory, name of the Minister, address, phone, fax, media officer,
private secretary. http://www.polity.org.za/lists/govmins.html
- South Africa. Local Government Information
- Has the full text of:
Municipal Systems Bill
1999 and other bills and acts
Paper on Disaster Management (1998)
Paper on Local Government
case studies on Local Economic Development and Poverty for (Port Elizabeth,
Durban, Khayelitsha, Midrand) and policy documents
Has information on: the financial affairs of South Africa's municipalities,
links to South African
cities and metropolitan councils, a discussion forum. One can receive
local government newsletter. http://www.local.gov.za/
- South Africa. Ministry and Department
of Provincial and Local Government
- Press releases, the full text of white papers, green papers, department
annual report, speeches, acts, bills, regulations, links to metropolitcan
and local councils, government departments, provincial
government web sites, etc. [KF] http://www.dplg.gov.za/
Africa. Parliament. Joint Investigation Report into the Strategic Defence
- Full text of the Nov. 14, 2001 report, in Adobe PDF. Concerns the investigation
into the purchase of armaments for the South African National Defence Force.
Africa in Transition - UC Berkeley, Graduate School of Journalism
- Eight students at the University of California, Berkeley Graduate School
of Journalism reported from South Africa March 1999 on AIDS, water shortages
and supply, Pieter-Dirk Uys' voter education tour, car jacking, domestic
abuse against women, crime, hairstyles, gay and lesbian society. http://www.journalism.berkeley.edu/SouthAfrica/default.html
Africa. White Paper on International Migration
- PRESENTED TO THE MINISTER OF HOME AFFAIRS, DR MANGOSUTHU BUTHELEZI. BY
A.S. MOKOENA, CHAIRPERSON OF THE TASK TEAM ON INTERNATIONAL MIGRATION ON
BEHALF OF THE TASK TEAM. As modified and approved by Cabinet. Pretoria :
March 31, 1999. http://www.info.gov.za/whitepaper/1999/migrate.htm
- South African Consulate
- Los Angeles
- Link 2 South Africa is the attractive web page of the South African Consulate-General
in Los Angeles, California. Information on visas, immigration, tourism (Captour,
Satour, South African Tourism Board, national parks), trade, investment,
etc. Has issues of their newsletter, This Day in South Africa. http://link2southafrica.com
- Offers subscriptions to their Daily News Bulletin which carries
one paragraph per article on political, economic, and social topics. Articles
are from South African newspapers.
To subscribe, send email to: email@example.com
On the Subject line, put: subscribe
The message area can be left blank.
- South African Council of Churches
(SACC) Public Policy Unit
- "...monitors legislation and government policy, engages in advocacy
around issues of concern to the church, ...and offers pastoral support to
members of parliament." Has Public Policy Updates, SACC Submissions
to Government, press statements, etc. http://www.sacc-ct.org.za/
- South African Embassy, Washington,
- The Embassy in Washington, D.C. has an extensive site with a daily news
bulletin, investment and trade information, South African products for sale,
maps, information on U.S. - South Africa relations, South Africa and the
Olympics, arts and culture including an exhibit of South African artists,
tourism, etc. The past 6-7 months of the Daily
News Bulletin are online. The site has a search engine. Provides
an e-mail address for questions.
Daily News Bulletin Archives: http://www.southafrica.net/news/dailyarchive.html
African Exiles Home Page
- "...welcomes all South African and Rhodesian expatriates (as well
as other friends of the countries) who wish to see the re-establishment
of civilised rule in Southern Africa." Meeting reports, news, links
to related sites. Based in London. http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~springbk/index.html
- South African Government Information
- Excellent site with full text primary documents. Bills, acts, commissions,
discussion documents, green papers, notices, policy documents, press statements,
reports, RDP documents, white papers, cabinet, parliament, provincial legislatures,
statutory bodies, graphics, etc. From Unwembi Communications, a Cape Town
new media publisher / web design firm. http://www.polity.org.za/
- South African Institute
of Race Relations (Braamfontein, South Africa)
- Well-known public policy research institute founded in 1929. Has selected
full text articles from their publications. Has, for members only, the full
text of the highly regarded, South Africa Survey (formerly Race Relations
Survey). Members can also receive their journals, Fast Facts,
and Frontiers of Freedom by email. http://www.sairr.org.za/
- South African Local
- From the Electoral Institute of Southern Africa. Has results of the 2000
election, election reports, essays such as on political party web sites,
the December 2000 local government elections, etc. Has an e-mail mailing
list. [KF] http://www.localelections.org.za/Welcome.html
- South African Police
- The annual police plan, crime information/statistics, crime prevention,
a kiddies corner, etc. http://www.saps.co.za/
- South African Political
Information Exchange- Daniel Silke
- Commentary on South African politics, political parties, political history,
reviews of new books. http://www.sapolitics.co.za/
- South African
Public Administration Site - Johan Groenewald
- Links to public administration teaching/research sources including South
African University Departments of Public Administration. http://www.aztec.co.za/users/sapaweb/
- South African Students'
- "The South African Students' Congress was formed in 1991. SASCO was
formed as a merger between SANSCO [predominantly black] and NUSAS [predominantly
white]." Supports the African National Congress, Congress of South
African Trade Unions, and South African Communist Party. Based in Johannesburg.
- Southern African Migration
- A research programme to facilitate the formulation of new policy initiatives
on migration in Southern Africa and to promote awareness of the role/contributions
of foreign immigrants of African origin in South Africa. The project is
funded by the Canadian International Development Agency, CIDA. Partners
include Queen's University (Canada) and the Institute for Democracy in South
Africa, IDASA. Has the full
text of some articles and reports and its newsletter, Crossings.
- Southern Cross
- Blog on South African and British political, economic, cultural issues.
By Murray Wesson & Andrew Black, South African Rhodes Scholars, writing
from Oxford. [KF] http://southern-cross.blogspot.com/
- Southscan (London)
- E version of the respected print bulletin of Southern African affairs.
Has contents listing for recent issues and contents lisitng for issues from
1994 + http://www.gn.apc.org/southscan/
- State of the Nation
- Full text of this important annual reference source beginning with the 2003/2004 volume. The 2007 edition, State of the Nation: South Africa 2007, is edited by
Sakhela Buhlungu; John Daniel; Roger Southall; Jessica Lutchman. Published by the HSRC Press. Use the Search box to locate the title. Access may be slow. http://www.hsrcpress.ac.za/
- Transparency International - South Africa
- "TI-SA commits itself to combating corruption in the public and private
sector and in civil society." Has a test version of its Corruption
Monitor database which provides abstracts and citations to articles. Publishes
the TI-SA Newsletter. Has cartoons (takes a long time to load). http://tisa.org.za/
- Truth and Reconciliation
- Has the full-text of the 5-vol. Final Report, background documents, photos
of the 17 commissioners, press releases from Nov. 30, 1995 to date, wire
stories from the South African Press Assoc. (SAPA) from April 22, 1996 to
date. One can register to receive their updates by e-mail. Has submissions
from political parties, transcripts concerning Stephen Biko, Ahmed Timol,
Amy Biehl, the Mandela United Football Club, and others. Hosted by
the South Africa Dept. of Justice and Constitutional
- Tshwane (City)
- Official site. The administrative capital of South Africa. Formerly Pretoria. Has many full text documents (development plan, annual reports, municipal regulations, maps of shopping centers, Plant Ecological study of Rietvlei Nature Reserve), city budget, visitor
information, detailed street maps, maps in ArcIMS Viewer, street address search, bus routes/timetables, schools, recipes, link to Wonderbroom Airport, etc. [KF] http://www.tshwane.gov.za/
- Print and online magazine of the African National Congress. The full text
from issue No. 1 to the latest issue is online. Topics covered include the
ANC leadership, women's movement, alliance with COSATU, SACP, Zimbabwe -
South Africa relations, etc. [KF] http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/pubs/umrabulo/index.html
Central Intelligence Agency. Chiefs of State & Cabinet Members - South
- Provides a list of the South African President, Cabinet members, the Governor
of the Central Bank, the country's Ambassador to the U.S., and its U.N.
Central Intelligence Agency. World Factbook
- Has a map, information on geography, people, government,
economy, transportation, communication, defense. http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/sf.html
States Mission to South Africa
- Official site. http://www.usia.gov/abtusia/posts/SF1/wwwhmain.html
- United States. Strategic Studies Institute
- The SSI is part of the U.S. Army War College, Carlisle, PA. Has the full-text in Adobe .pdf format, ASCII, or WordPerfect 5.1 of studies on sub-Saharan Africa. Topics include The African Crisis Response, Military Medical Operations in Sub-Saharan Africa, Armies and Democracy...Nigeria and South Africa. http://carlisle-www.army.mil/ssi/
- United States-South
Africa Leadership Development Programme
- USSALEP has offices in Washington, D.C. and Johannesburg. Brief description
of programes they fund. http://www.bbn.co.za/ussalep/index.html
- University of Cape Town. Centre
for Conflict Resolution
- Has the full text of staff papers and of recent articles from
their journal, Track Two, the full text of Working Papers
from the Southern African Centre for Defence Information. http://ccrweb.ccr.uct.ac.za
- University of Cape Town. Centre for Social Science Research
- "The Centre for Social Science Research is made up of ...... The Aids and Society Research Unit; the Data First Resource Unit; the Democracy in Africa Research Unit; the Social Surveys Unit and the Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit." Has full text Working Papers. http://www.cssr.uct.ac.za/pubs_cssr.html
Working Paper topics include -
the Labour Market in South Africa
Surviving unemployment without state support
South African press reporting on children affected by AIDS
Media coverage and the election
Race, class and justice in post-apartheid South Africa
Inequality and diversity in Cape Town
Relationships between adolescents and adults
Labour force withdrawal of the elderly
Health seeking behaviour in Northern KwaZulu Natal
The School day in South Africa
Economic infrastructure investment in South Africa
Informal savings groups in South Africa
Results of election '04
Role of social grants in.......HIV/AIDS
Understanding black households
KHAYELITSHA / MITCHELL’S PLAIN SURVEY 2000; Survey Report and Baseline Information (98 p. in PDF)
of Manchester. Institute for Development Policy & Management
- Has summaries and the full text of Working Papers on "Land,
water and local governance in South Africa" and "Information
Management, IT and Government Transformation: Innovative Approaches in the
new South Africa." http://www.man.ac.uk/idpm/idpm_dp.htm#rural_wp
- University of Natal. Centre for Civil
- The Centre promotes the study of the non-profit sector and develops
and promotes partnerships aimed at knowledge sharing and capacity-building
in the civil society sector.
Has the full text, in Adobe pdf, of a 98 page Johns Hopkins study
on non-profits in South Africa -
The size and scope of the non-profit sector in South
Africa by Mark Swilling and Bev Russell,. Edited by Adam Habib. (Johannesburg,
South Africa : Graduate School of Public and Development Management, University
of the Witwatersrand ; Durban, South Africa : Centre for Civil Society,
University of Natal, 2002).
Offers workshops on issues of critical importance to civil society, holds
a monthly Harold Wolpe Memorial Lecture Series. Has a large directory
to civil socity organizations (trade unions, local community groups, etc.);
see the Organisations link. [KF] http://www.nu.ac.za/ccs
Other reports -
Desai, Ashwin (2002). Neo-liberalism
and its Discontents: The rise of Community Movements in post-apartheid
South Africa. Plenary Address at the South African Sociology Conference
Port Elizabeth: 1-16. 14 pages.
Louw, Stephen (2002) Smoke and Mirrors: The Non-Profit Sector and the
National Lottery. Centre for Civil Society Research Report 1: 1-32.
Gibbs, Andrew and Tim Gibbs. A Water Supply and Pollution Crisis in Lesothos
The Problems of Footloose Investment. (discusses the U.S. African Growth
and Opportunity Act (AGOA). 13 p. in
Adobe pdf. http://www.nu.ac.za/ccs/files/Lesotho%20Water%20-%20Final.pdf
- University of Pretoria
- Has full text (in Adobe PDF) of the South African government
acts for 1997 and up to mid-1998. [KF] http://www.up.ac.za/
- University of Stellenbosch.
Department of Political Science
- Has a directory of faculty / staff, courses, links to South African politics
- University of Sussex. Institute of
Development Studies. (Brighton, U.K.)
- Its Civil Society and Governance
Programme has country reports for South
Africa. and case
studies on Kenya,
- [Wolpe] Harold Wolpe Forum
- A series of discussions on crucial issues facing South Africa held in
Cape Town, South Africa. Full text of -
- "Thinking Theoretically? Afrikaner nationalism and the
comparative theory of the politics of identity. A tribute to Harold
Wolpe," by Dan O'Meara.
- "The Engaged Intellectual and the Struggle for a Democratic
South Africa. The Life and Work of Harold Wolpe. Address to the
Inaugural Conference of the Harold Wolpe Memorial Trust" by Dan
- Notes from a May 2000 discussion "After the election, what way
forward: the future of the Alliance." http://www.uct.ac.za/misc/wolpe/
- Zuma, Jacob - Friends of Jacob Zuma
- "The media has, over a protracted period, persecuted Jacob Zuma for his alleged involvement in the arms deal, subjecting him to all manner of humiliation and severely compromising his dignity." Biography, support messages, photographs. Based in Durban, South Africa. http://www.friendsofjz.co.za/
- Lyons, Campbell and Tanya Lyons. "Challenges posed by information
and communication technologies for parliamentary democracy in South Africa."
In Parliament in the age of the Internet, edited by Stephen Coleman,
John Taylor and Wim van de Donk, 80-88. Oxford : Oxford University Press
in association with the Hansard Society for Parliamentary Government, 1999.
Taylor, J.A. and Eleanor Burt. "Parliaments on the Web: Learning through
Innovation." In Parliament in the age of the Internet, edited
by Stephen Coleman, John Taylor and Wim van de Donk, 141-155. Oxford : Oxford
University Press in association with the Hansard Society for Parliamentary
"The strongest site for the declaration of members'
interests was the South African site."
|| © 1994-2009 The Board of Trustees of the Leland
Stanford Junior University. All rights reserved.
|Please send corrections to Karen Fung.