General Guide |
Analytical Chemistry |
Chemical Laboratory Safety |
Drug Information |
Inorganic Chemistry |
Life Scientists |
Physical Chemistry |
Polymer Chemistry |
Searching the Internet |
General Guide for Chemists and Chemical Engineers
Swain Library Computer Use Guidelines
Please respect these guidelines. Bypassing the
security, adding/deleting software, and modifying the System settings is
unlawful, discourteous, and could be considered a violation of the
- Except for “Kiosk” workstations on Swain’s circulation desk, computers
are available only for Stanford students, faculty, and staff.
- Computers are primarily for searching databases and using library
resources. Do not store personal files or install software on the hard disk.
- Computers are for academic use only. Please be sensitive to the public
nature of shared facilities and take care not to display, store, or print
inappropriate images, sounds, or messages which could create an atmosphere
of discomfort or harassment for others.
- Use of the University's computers, network or electronic communication facilities
(such as electronic mail or instant messaging, or systems with similar functions) to send, view or
download fraudulent, harassing, obscene (i.e., pornographic), threatening, or other messages or
material that are a violation of applicable law or University policy, such as under circumstances that
might contribute to the creation of a hostile academic or work environment, is prohibited.
- Do not reconfigure or alter any settings on the workstations.
- Do not send files to Swain’s printers from other locations.
- If others are waiting, please restrict use to 10 minutes on kiosk workstations,
30 minutes for other workstations (60 minutes CAS searching).
NOTE: Copying software or documentation may be subject to
copyright laws. Unlawful copying is prohibited. Please see Swain’s
Copyright page for