Finding and Verifying CAS Registry Numbers® on STN®
— March 1993 —
You do not need expensive equipment to use STN. Use any terminal or microcomputer that can connect to a telecommunications system.
To connect to STN, you will need the following:
- Telephone line
A modem is a device that allows your terminal to communicate with STN International over ordinary telephone lines. Any asynchronous modem that operates at 300, 1200, 2400, or 9600 baud can be used. Verify which baud rate your telecommunication carrier supports in your area.
- Terminal or microcomputer with terminal emulation
- A wide variety of terminals can be used to search the databases on STN International. If you have a microcomputer or “PC”, you also will need software that enables your microcomputer to “talk” to your modem. This software is referred to as “terminal emulation” software. Additional information on equipment can be found in the brochure Accessing STN International — Equipment Notes which is available by request from STN International through Customer Service at 614-447-3731 or 800-753-4CAS (800-753-4227).
- The following terminal set-up parameters
provide optimum performance when using the STN International
network with most telecommunication software.
- Parity — EVEN
- Duplex — FULL
- Data Word Length (bits) — 7 BITS
- Stop Bits — 1
These parameters are selected through the software package for a personal computer or via the set-up key on a terminal.
- Telephone number of a local telecommunication carrier
- STN can be accessed through direct-dial, 614-447-3781 in the U.S., or a telecommunication carrier. Generally, the telecommunication carrier charges are lower than long-distance telephone charges. In most areas, telecommunication carriers can be reached through a local telephone number. STN is available through three telecommunication carriers: CompuServe, Sprintnet, Internet, and Tymnet. To find the nearest local telephone number or the baud rate applicable to you, call the STN Help Desk at 800-848-6533. If the line is busy, call 800-848-6538 or 614-447-3698.
- To open an STN account, contact STN International
at the following address:
c/o Chemical Abstracts Service
2540 Olentangy River Road
P.O. Box 3012
Columbus, OH 43210-0012
Telephone: 614-447-3731 or 800-753-4CAS (800-754-4227)
Telex: 6 842 086 chmab
Once you have an account, you will receive your login ID and password. You will also receive additional instructions and documentation as part of your start-up kit. You will be charged a one-time account set-up fee of $25 on your first monthly bill.