Teaching Chemical Information:
Tips and Techniques
— March 1998 —
Major chemical information textbooks
- Gary Wiggins. Chemical Information Sources. McGraw-Hill, NY, 1991.
- Comes with a disk.
- Yecheskel Wolman. Chemical Information: A Practical Guide to Utilization. 2nd ed. Wiley, NY 1988.
- Robert E. Maizell. How to Find Chemical Information: A Guide for Practicing Chemists, Educators, and Students. 2nd ed. Wiley, NY, 1987.
- M.G. Mellon. Chemical Publications: Their Nature and Use. 5th ed. McGraw-Hill, NY, 1982.
- Carol Carr, “Teaching and using chemical information; an updated bibliography”, J. Chem. Ed., 1993, v.70, p.719-26.
- This is a comprehensive list of all articles, publications, and organizations which cover all aspects of teaching chemical information.
- “The Chemical Information Instructor”, quarterly column in J. Chem. Ed., July 1991+. Editor, Arleen N. Somerville, University of Rochester.
- Offers practical information to instructors of chemical information. List of articles published in column follows on next 2 pages.
Available from the Education Committee, ACS Division of Chemical Information. Materials are provided without charge as a service of the Division. Modules include:
- Introduction to Computer Searching of Chemical Abstracts (Dialog) 1990
- Introduction to Computer Searching of Chemical Abstracts (STN International) 1993
- Citation Searching Module (Dialog) 1990
- Patent Searching (Dialog) 1990
- Patent Searching (STN International) 1990
Send requests to:
University of Rochester
Rochester NY 14627-0236
The Clearinghouse is a project initiated by the chemical information divisions of the American Chemical Society and the Special Libraries Association. Its purpose is to collect and distribute items for use in instructing students and scientists in the use of chemical information sources. Includes approximately 200 items.
Cost to requestor: $.10 per page.
List of available items can be acquired via:
- WWW at URL: http://www.indiana.edu/~cheminfo/cciimnro.htm
Dr. Gary Wiggins
Chemistry Bldg. 003
Bloomington, IN 47405
- CICOURSE. Chemical Information Course via Internet. From Gary Wiggins, Indiana University, Chemistry Library.
- To subscribe, send message to: LISTSERV@IUBVM.INDIANA.EDU
Leave Subject line blank.
In message, type: SUB CICOURSE yourfirstname yourlastname
Updates will appear in your Internet mailbox.
Also available via World Wide Web at http://www.indiana.edu/~cheminfo/400home.html
- CIStudio — a Chemical Information Course. From Profesor Joseph Warden and Instruction Librarian Colette Holmes, Rensselear Polytechnic Institute.
- Available via WWW at URL: http://www.rpi.edu/dept/chem/cheminfo/cistudio/index.html